The theme of mystery with a supernatural background is not a new thing in anime. The Garden Of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai) is one such series that dives into supernatural mystery themes better by putting more effort into the narrative and significantly better animation and art. The abundance of edgy backstories and plot threads surrounding mysteries in the series also factors in the enjoyment of this series.
The Garden Of Sinners is divided into several movies, just moving from one story point to another, with each movie leading to a conclusive end. It also has enough context in each movie to care about what happens next, grabbing the viewer’s attention enough to keep them interested for long.
The Garden Of Sinners is an exceptional series with plenty of action involving puddle-deep mystery and many intrigues in terms of the plot. If you plan to watch The Garden Of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai), then watch it according to this order.
The Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai) Watch Order:
01. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 1: Overlooking View
02. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 2: Murder Speculation Part A
03. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 3: Remaining Sense of Pain
04. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 4: The Hollow Shrine
05. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 5: Paradox Paradigm
06. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 6: Oblivion Recording
07. The Garden of Sinners Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven (Optional)
Alternate Title: Kara no Kyoukai Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven
Episodes: Movie (1 hr. 1 min.)
Buy/Stream On: Unknown
Note: The Garden of Sinners Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven is a recap movie and is completely optional to watch. I only recommend watching Gate of Seventh Heaven if you have forgotten or didn’t understand some parts from the earlier movies.
08. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 7: Murder Speculation Part B
09. The Garden of Sinners Chapter 8: The Final Chapter
10. The Garden of Sinners: Recalled Out Summer
11. The Garden of Sinners: Recalled Out Summer – Extra Chorus
The Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai) is a supernatural mystery anime series produced by studio Ufotable. The anime is an adaptation of light novel series written by Kinoko Nasu and illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi.
Synopsis: Shiki Ryogi of the Ryogi family possesses a dual personality, one male and one female. The male Shiki is the violent and outspoken part of herself, while the female Shiki is more shy and reclusive. One day, Shiki gets involved in a traffic accident, leaving her in a comatose state. Awakening from the coma, Shiki discovered that her other half has died in the accident. Now she owns a new power called Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, allowing her to see the death of everything in existence.
Troubled with the death of the male Shiki, she distances herself from others and puts on a cold facade to resemble the male Shiki. To help her, Touko Aozaki, a magus who runs a detective agency dealing with supernatural events, employs Shiki. The story follows Shiki as she helps solve the supernatural crimes related to the streets of Mifune city while dealing with her newfound powers.